Monday, March 23, 2009

How do you say "Auld Lang Syne" in French....Jessica? Melinda?



I'm giddy at the thought that I will spend my next New Year's Eve in Paris, France! I've spent the last 5 hours looking at apartments, even taking a "Google street tour" around the neighborhoods of the ones I like. I've sent everyone the links and I'm waiting to get "the votes" back, but I've chosen the one I want. Hint: It's the one that has the kitchen in the blog below! It is sooo to die for....and it's less expensive than most of the places I've found. The neighborhood has an Italian restaurant two blocks away (Melinda) and several street cafes within a few blocks (all of us!).




Anyway, I've also been researching "things to do in Paris on New Year's Eve" and (shock me!) it's NOT spending the evening at the base of the Eiffel Tower! The hot place to be is the Champs Elyssee! Supposedly this area has the best views of all of the fireworks in Paris.....you can even see the display at the Eiffell Tower. I thought about it and figured all of the lights on the Eiffel Tower could be distracting from the fireworks. It's kind of like a more relaxed "Time Square on New Year's Eve" and I think it's a fabulous idea! AND we'll be in France.....REAL champagne on New Year's eve! Loves it!




I've watched several "New Year's in Paris" on YouTube, but I have to tell you I haven't seen the first bit of fireworks! But I understand, fireworks/firecrackers can be legally bought in Paris....I can tell you of one person who will definitely "partake"!!!




To Parisians, the New Year is highly regarded.....in fact, they send out greeting cards (which I only do if I didn't get the time to send out Christmas cards) and they wish each other "happy new year" throughout the whole month! Dang....can you imagine walking down the street saying that for a whole month!




Anyway, all I can say is that I have alot to learn before this trip......my "french pronunciation" lesson started today when I was trying to tell Melinda something. She was gracious, but I heard the chuckle that she didn't chuckle!




Dennis lived in France as a small child, but the only thing he can say in French is "pass the bread and butter, please".....and he does it with a Southern accent! I suppose you could get by if that's all you know how to say......bread and butter in France....works for me!

No comments: