Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Collector

She's "the collector"......she doesn't collect just anything. She collects things that make her feel good and things that she hopes make others feel good when they see them. She's been collecting for a very long time......when you ask about something on the shelf, or on the wall, or sitting in a corner, she doesn't reply with a noun. She replies with a story of where she got it and how. You come to understand who she is through the things she loves and the stories that make those things so special.


One of my favorite collections is her collection of needlework that she's so carefully hung on the walls throughout her cabin in the mountains. They all look like they are at home on those walls and they all make you feel good when you look at them.


The last time we were up, I took a few pictures of some of the needlework. Unfortunately, they weren't great pictures, but I hope you'll get an idea of who she is from the ones I did get. It is quite an extensive collection!

Below is a piece that has some gorgeous crewel work! Someone put alot of love in this piece....






This is the sibling of the one up above....it's so much more beautiful that it looks here....I really need to take those photography classes!




Another great example of my lack of photog skills.....but it does give you an idea of how much she loves these pieces....


Yes, she is a collector......and she loves each and every piece....and they make her feel good.....and they make me feel good. She my friend and I love her. Who? Why Melinda, of course!!!
Throughout this post I've been trying to think of something that I collect......initially I couldn't think of anything....then.......I realized that I collect cooking tools and cookbooks and Martha Stewart magazines and books! I love each and every one of them......and they make me feel good!

What do you collect?

1 comment:

Melin said...

AWWW, Thank you so much, what you may not know is often times it is friends that add to this growing collection of needle work, whether it's pieces they did and gave to me, or it's a piece that we discovered when we were out on a road trip, or it was a piece I found, hung on to and knew one day I would have that special cabin to put it in and display it; that is what tells the story; I am only the messenger. Cola you are the special one that publishes the stories and tells others about how special these little artifacts are. What you need to know is how special YOU are in my life and how blessed I am to have you there. BFF I love you and always will, you are a shining light in my life, thank you for being there for me, as you have in the past, in the present and I know will be there in the future, Melin