Thursday, April 2, 2009

Congratulations, Melinda!!!!!!!!!!!!


Today was a GREAT day!!!! I had the great opportunity to watch my best friend defend her dissertation! It was so much more than I expected.....I walked away with a great understanding of her passion for her work AND I actually understood what it is she loves about it. I have to say, I was a little surprised that "I got it"!


The new Doctor Melinda Barker is a Professor at Hampton University's School of Nursing and, while contributing to the education of others, has continued her own education....and now she has earned her Doctorate Degree!!! Wow......it has been a dream of hers for a long time and I'm so very proud of her accomplishment.....but I'm even more proud to know that it wasn't the title.....and it wasn't the new deskplate that says, "Dr. Melinda Barker" (a gift from Anna)....and it wasn't the new door plate that says, "Dr. Melinda Barker" (a gift from Jessica and Adam)....and it wasn't the monogrammed stationery that says, "Dr. Melinda Barker" (a gift from Dennis and me)......it was the dedication that she has to the world of medicine and to making the world a better place for those who are ill and more, to helping to educate those who also want to follow in her footsteps.


She may have officially become a "Doctor" today, but I've always felt she was my own "doctor".....I call her when I don't feel well....and she jumps in her car and comes to my aid. I can remember countless times that just her touch made me, Shelby or Evan feel better. I've always known that I could count on her....and I know I always will...


Congratulations, Melinda......I love you!

No comments: